Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Dimensions

Anchoring one end of the spinnaker to a table and running a sharp pair of scissors down the material made it easy to cut them in half:

Just remember to cut on the correct side of the seam!  (see the previous post about my mistake)

Here's a picture of when I was measuring the sails:

I have three hooks screwed into the roof under the eaves that I connect my pool cover to, which makes an L shape.  I use bungees to attach the pool cover to the hooks, so there's some give and take when the wind puffs the cover up and down.  The fourth anchor point is to the corner post of the fence.  Usually, I need some rope to get to the fence, as it is farther away than the other points.

The long side of the house is 340" from hook to hook and the short side is 243" from hook to hook.  If I create an anchor point on the fence to elongate the L shape, the short side of the house could go up to 323".

Spinnaker #1 (colored red, white and black) had a foot of 302" and the leech and luff was 549".  I cut it along a seam so that the luff and leech were 214".  Because of the girth, the new top edge is 308".  This gives me about 14" to 16" of bungee material I'll need for each hook.  It will fit perfectly with respect to the hooks I have in place.

Spinnaker #2 (colored red, white and blue) had a foot of 312", and the leech and luff were 554".  I cut this one so that the luff and leech were 300" to fit the elongated L area.  Because of the girth, the new top edge is 309".  It was not along a seam, so there will be hemming involved with this one as well.  Again, anchoring the edge to a table and using sharp scissors made the cutting relatively easy.  I measured off a seam on each end and in the middle to make sure I had a straight cut.  Here's what spin #2 looked like cut in half:

I was a little surprised at how rectangular they both ended up!  Spinnaker #2 is almost a square.

SpinFootLuffLeechNew Head
Spinnaker #1302"214"214"308"
Spinnaker #2312"300"300"309"

No comments:

Post a Comment