Saturday, April 26, 2014

Planning Hobie 16 Spinnakers

I've been looking around on the web for Hobie 16 spinnaker rigs planning to make mine out of the leftover spinnakers. Here's a good picture:


It appears that the spinnaker pole extends out about twice as much as the bridle wires, which will be about 13 feet.  That means that the foot will have to be 13.5-15 feet, depending on where the pulley ends up.  For a completely temporary rig, I'm thinking of attaching the pulley to the base of the side stay?  I'd have to bungee it so it wouldn't drag when that hull is in the water though.  Hmm.  Need to think about that some more.

From what I've read, you can rivet a H14 tang a few feet up from the H16 tang, even on a comp tip.  I'll probably be using a H16 tang because of the chute scoop rigging.  That's going to be about 20 feet high.  That means the luff/leech needs to be about 24 feet long.

The top halves of the spinnakers I have leftover from the pool shade cover are 22 feet and 20 feet, so I can lower the new tang or there'll be some play there.

The feet of the top halves of the spinnakers are way too large.  They're each 26 feet!  I will need to do some serious trimming to make these fit.  I might have to re-cut the entire sail.  Hmm.  This may be a bigger project than I thought...

Here's another picture:



No comments:

Post a Comment