Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spinnaker Project Done!

I finished up the clews of spinnaker #2:

I remembered to glue the panels on the same side again.

Then I hung them both up for pictures.  I use the top halves of some old-school fiberglass windsurfing masts and pulleys to run rope back and forth between the house and the fence to keep the spinnaker from drooping down on top of our heads:








Here's spinnaker #1.  I used some hooked bungees to attach the clews to the hooks, but I plan to buy some plain bungee rope and tie loops to the clews so that I don't have the potential of hardware snapping back in case of a breakage.






Here's a shot of the spinnaker resting on the ropes:

And hre's a shot of the wind bellowing the sail up off the ropes:

You can see in this shot that one clew is red and the other is black.  That's where I glued and then sewed the clews on different sides.  This does not affect the operation of the spinnaker at all, I'm wondering if anyone will even notice it.

This was taken just after noon, the hottest part of the day, as you can see, there is shade over the whole pool, success!

Here's another shot of it bellowed out:

The stains on the spinnaker almost remind me of tie-dyes, so this is perfect!

Here's spinnaker #2.  I used the bottom halves of the windsurfing masts to make tie points by the fence because this one is over sized compared to the first one:






Here's a picture of spinnaker #2 resting on the ropes:

And here it is bellowed out:

 I still have the sewing machine, and with the chute scoop, I'll be making two spinnakers for my Hobie 16.  The first will be the full length of the mast, and the other will be a smaller one that will attach to the existing mast tang.  I still have that third spinnaker that needed some minor repair, I'll sew that up and maybe make some of my money back, we'll see.  I may come back and post it here, we'll see about that as well!

Overall, this was a great project.  Thanks to Ernie for the use of his Sailrite LSZ-1.  Thanks to Sailrite for their videos, that made the whole thing doable.  This is a great machine, I hope I get one for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment